You’ve probably heard about NewPointe’s 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting starting next week, leading up to Easter. Maybe you’re wondering if you should participate this year. Maybe you’ve been thinking, “Well, I could stand to lose a few pounds. Swimming-suit season is coming up soon.” Wrong answer! If you are going to fast and pray effectively, you need to grab on to a better motive. Actually, there are many good reasons to fast and pray.
· First of all, Jesus told us to fast. He didn’t say, “If you fast,” He said, “When you fast . . .” (Matthew 6:16).
· Jesus is our number-one example to follow, and He fasted. Matthew 4 tells the story of Jesus fasting for 40 days. When His fast was over, Jesus had incredible power and anointing, and He began a ministry filled with astonishing miracles.
· Fasting brings us closer to God. There are three recorded 40-day fasts in the Bible: Elijah, Moses, and Jesus. All three of these men had ministries filled with the power of God and astonishing miracles. Exodus 34 says that Moses even developed a glow about him as he fasted.
· Fasting helps you find God’s purpose and direction for your life. God reveals Himself, and you are focused in a way to hear Him with more clarity. When Moses was fasting, God gave him the Ten Commandments. It’s unlikely you will get a revelation that will matter to as many as Moses did with the Ten Commandments, but it will surely have an impact on you and those you love. Pray for God’s will, direction, and wisdom as you fast. He will lead you to the steps you need to take for your goals and dreams to become a reality.
· Fasting increases your willpower. God works with your faithfulness. As you slowly cooperate with God, your willpower is empowered and strengthened.
· Fasting has tremendous physical benefits. Scientists and doctors affirm that fasting cleanses and heals your body, promotes weight loss, eliminates toxins, clears your mind, beautifies your complexion, slows your aging process, increases your likelihood of living longer, and more.
· Fasting can lead to financial victories. The closer you get to God, the more you will think big like God thinks. His ideas will begin to make sense, and your finances will begin to fall into place. Your generosity will expand and explode.
· Fasting breaks the yoke of addictions, temptations, burdens,nbondages, and bad habits. Isaiah 58:6 says that fasting is the tool God uses to break seemingly unbreakable bondages.
· Fasting removes mountains that prayer and faith alone may not remove. Mountains are those situations that seem insurmountable. Jesus’ disciples once asked Him why they couldn’t handle a situation with demons, and Jesus answered, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you; but this kind never comes out except by prayer and fasting” (Matthew17:20-21).
· Fasting brings unity and blessing to groups who commit to fast and pray together.
· Fasting deepens our faith and teaches us to rely on Jesus instead of what we can manage.
· The greatest reformations and spiritual awakenings in the U.S. and Christian history have come from fasting. Maybe He will do it again!
Did you see a reason that is enough for you? I surely did! I am ready and waiting for God to do miracles in us and through us as we on purpose intentionally to seek His will and His way.