I’m thinking this morning about the power of words. There are so many places in the Bible that speak to us about our language. In fact, the book of Proverbs has almost 10% of the verses devoted to the subject of communication. Communication either builds or destroys. Proverbs 25:11 (ESV) says, “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.” Words do not only lift up and encourage others, but they have value.
Nothing speaks more clearly about the Word of God than our speech. Check these out.
- Psalm 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer."
- Psalm 37:30 “The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks justice.”
- Proverbs 12:25 “Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.”
- James 3:5b-8 “How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.”
- Proverbs 18:21 “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.”
- Matthew 12:36-27 “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
- Proverbs 12:18 “There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
- Proverbs 13:3 “Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.”
- Ephesians 4:29 “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”
The Gospel of John in the first majestic chapter tells us that Jesus is Himself the WORD of God. Jesus IS life, and speaks life to us, giving us words of healing, hope, mercy and grace. He said, “The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” (John 6:63b) Wouldn’t it be great if we used all of our words in that way as well? He is our leader and role model. Let’s try it.